leaner and even meaner firefox

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Fri Aug 5 16:11:30 GMT 2005

> Updated patch: http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/firefox.diff
>
> Please let me know if it looks good to you, then I can add in MC's
> ports-stable. I will ask my team to review too, since it's not normal for
> me to work with any of gecko-based browser ports.

Up until today, I did not know, epiphany existed... But I'm very glad, that
project had enough smarts NOT to ship yet another instance of the nspr
tree :-)

That said, I could not sleep too and dug into eliminating warnings in the
firefox build (-Wall -Werror).

Many of them are harmless, but there are nasty bugs too -- variables remaining
uninitialized in some cases, pointers dumbed down into ints (a no-no on
amd64) and then back into pointers. Also, due to some misconfiguration,
firefox currently builds thinking, FreeBSD has no "long long".

I'm not done with that yet, but plan to finish this weekend. Maybe, this will
even stop the 64-bit firefox from going into the tight loops on occasion...

	-mi