gamin fails to monitor symlink directory

Jean-Yves Lefort jylefort at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 28 14:38:54 PDT 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:53:28 -0700
Sean McNeil <sean at mcneil.com> wrote:

> I did the following on a 5.4-STABLE system and all the most recent
> ports:
>
> 1) I created a symlink on my gnome desktop to /users.
> 2) Opened the directory in nautilus.
> 3) in a gnome-terminal, I typed "touch /users/ttt".
>
> The nautilus view never updates.  If I navigate through nautilus to the
> actual directory (in Filesystem -> users), then it works as expected.
>
> /users is a mount point
>
> /dev/ad6s1d            180G     46G    120G    28%    /users

The kqueue Gamin backend purposedly does not follow symbolic links
(see the first note on top of
/usr/ports/devel/gamin/files/patch-server_gam_kqueue.c).

The fact that Nautilus asks GnomeVFS to monitor symbolic links when it
really wants to monitor their target is a Nautilus bug. I suggest you
file a Nautilus bug report on bugzilla.gnome.org (please add me to the
cc list).

--
Jean-Yves Lefort

jylefort at FreeBSD.org