gnome-terminal and FreeBSD's vi.

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Apr 20 21:52:10 PDT 2005

Just wondering, has anyone ever gotten FreeBSD's own vi to work well
with gnome-terminal?  I've found that unless $TERM is set to cons25 then
vi has problems handling ASCII DEL (^?) sequences correctly.

Right now in the gnome-terminal profile I have Backspace generating a
Ctrl+H and Delete generating an ASCII DEL.  That's standard xterm vt100
emulation and matches cons25 terminal behavior.  (In case you're
wondering why I changed the default behavior it's because vi doesn't
handle the ^[[3~ escape sequence very well either.)  When using vi in
insert mode, delete is generating a ^? on screen each time it is
pressed.  In other modes I get an error stating "^? isn't a vi command".

I've already fixed vim so delete and backspace behave the same under
cons25 and xterm (the 'fixdel' option added to my .vimrc took care of
the problem very simply after lots of googling) and I'd like to fix vi
now.  Also, if somebody could tell me how to get Backspace to actually
remove characters while in insert mode in vi that would be awesome too.
That has annoyed me on all the BSDs.  Thanks.

Tom

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD
http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:FreeBSD