Can somebody please have a look at ports/78931?

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 20 17:26:17 PDT 2005

Michael Johnson wrote:
> Adam Weinberger wrote:
>
>> Miguel Mendez wrote:

>>> Well, in it's current state the user is informed about what knobs she
>>> can tune. I didn't add any of my own, but simply converted the port
>>> from manual to OPTIONS. Maybe it doesn't make much sense to build gimp
>>> without jpeg or png support, but the choice is there in case anyone
>>> needs it. People who don't know/don't care can always use the default
>>> options which should suit most people's needs.
>>

>> Emphatically agreed. OPTIONS is there to make it easy for users to
>> tune their ports. I think it's foolish for us to ignore OPTIONS,
>> especially in something like the GIMP where there are tons of
>> tunables. I think it's a serious mistake for things such as GIMP and
>> MPlayer not to use OPTIONS.
>>
>> WITHOUT_JPEG doesn't need to be a tunable, but something like
>> WITH_HTML_HELP_VIEWER_THINGER does. I think your work moves us
>> forwards instead of further backwards, Miguel.
>

> yeah, I totally agree with the WITH_HTML_HELP_BROWSER and WITHOUT_PRINT
> (and few others?) being options,
> but all the graphic (jpeg, png, etc) stuff I feel should be left as
> knobs, or maybe even removed?

I see no reason for the graphics knobs to be removed, and they help
resolve potential licence issues. I wouldn't worry about making them
into OPTIONS though... that would just make the OPTIONS dialogue too
confusing. I'm going to be going through GNOME ports in the near future
and making as much stuff as possible into OPTIONS... there's no reason
that people should have to set stuff in make.conf when OPTIONS handles
it much more simply for them.

# Adam

--

Adam Weinberger