Can somebody please have a look at ports/78931?

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 20 17:09:34 PDT 2005

Miguel Mendez wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:34:02 -0400
> Michael Johnson <ahze at ahze.net> wrote:
>

>>Personally I don't like the idea of OPTIONS in gimp, well atleast not
>>all of them
>>ie. WITHOUT_JPEG, who is really going to use that OPTION.
>

> Well, in it's current state the user is informed about what knobs she
> can tune. I didn't add any of my own, but simply converted the port
> from manual to OPTIONS. Maybe it doesn't make much sense to build gimp
> without jpeg or png support, but the choice is there in case anyone
> needs it. People who don't know/don't care can always use the default
> options which should suit most people's needs.

Emphatically agreed. OPTIONS is there to make it easy for users to tune
their ports. I think it's foolish for us to ignore OPTIONS, especially
in something like the GIMP where there are tons of tunables. I think
it's a serious mistake for things such as GIMP and MPlayer not to use
OPTIONS.

WITHOUT_JPEG doesn't need to be a tunable, but something like
WITH_HTML_HELP_VIEWER_THINGER does. I think your work moves us forwards
instead of further backwards, Miguel.

# Adam

--

Adam Weinberger