gdm start and load goes high logging off

knowtree at aloha.com knowtree at aloha.com
Wed Apr 20 13:19:32 PDT 2005

FreeBSD 4.11 STABLE, Gnome 2.10
Yesterday I ran a conplete port update. I hoped it would fix a problem that
turned up about a week ago, but the only change was that now gdm does not
start.

1. What is the recommended way to have gdm start at the end of the boot
sequence? It was working fine until this morning. I checked that gdm.sh is
in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d and that looked fine. I fiddled with /etc/ttys in
what I think was the old way, like this:

#ttyv8	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"	xterm	off secure
ttyv8	"/usr/X11R6/bin/gdm -nodaemon"	xterm	on  secure

This works, but I should have had to change anything. This may be related
to my second problem.

2. When I click on Desktop / Log Out gdm-binary goes nuts, stealing more
and more cpu time, eventually over 90%. If I cancel the logout, the load
*does not* return to normal.

I had my system set to dim the desktop when the logoff confirmation window
was displayed. Now it does not dim.

When I log off I get an error message that multiload-applett-2 has quit
unexpectedly. I assume that's because it is being flooded.

While troubleshooting this issue I noticed that gdm-binary is quite active
all the time, generally third or forth in process table displayed by the
"top" command. Why woiuld it need to be so active when I'm already logged
on? It should be dormant, at the bottom of the list.

I also have a problem with sound, but I think it is unrtelated and will
post separately.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
knowtree at aloha.com