mozilla's install hanging on amd64

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Apr 11 09:30:05 PDT 2005

> I don't really care to argue with you on this.  If you want to be upset
> that your special gcc flags don't work, that's your business.

My whole point, Scott, is that there is nothing special about "my gcc flags".
NOTHING. Setting CPUTYPE to match one's processor flavor is a long-documented
way to do things -- fact. Such setting results in the corresponding
-march=XXX automatically -- fact. All ports must handle this. Those that can
not are broken. Plan and simple. There is nothing to argue: `-O -pipe
-march=opteron' must work.

> Meanwhile I'll continue using Mozilla on my amd64 machine.

Even a broken thing can be useful to some.

> Please refrain from making rash commits to the mozilla port in CVS that
> would contradict this.

I'm not the maintainer. I'll certainly submit any patches I come up with to
both the maintainers and the vendor. I'll expect the maintainers to test and
add them promptly to the port -- as is customary. But to even begin, I need
to ram the simple point through: setting `-march=' MUST WORK.

Otherwise, people like you will continue to deny a problem exists...

> Working on correcting the code generation problems in either the mozilla
> source or the gcc source would be a good way to positively contribute.

	-mi