Rubrica address book hard getting started

knowtree at aloha.com knowtree at aloha.com
Mon Apr 4 14:39:43 PDT 2005

I just installed Rubrica to manage mail address, because the web interface
I have available at work has no address book. I want to share some problems
I had getting started.

FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE, Gnome 2.8

Installation was fine. When the program started it told me it was the first
time being run and set up the default data folder and file.

I could not figure out how to add a new card. I clcked the New button but
nothing useful happened. I quit. The program would not restart because it
could not find the file I had told it to open automatically. I had to
delete ~/.rubrica to get going.

Eventually figued out that "New" was for data files and "Add" was for
adding a new card to the current file. But when I added new records they
did not appear anywhere. They were counted, but I saw nothing. The
"Previous" and "Next" buttons did not seem to work (turns out those are for
switching files, not for navigating in the current file.) The problem was
that nothing was checked to show in the Cards list.

I recommend that new files default to a card list view setting that
displayes the "card" field. I don't know if this is a job for the developer
or the FreeBSD port maintainer.

The good news is I can drag-n-drop mail addresses from Rubrica to a web
form in Epiphany, which is what I wanted.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
knowtree at aloha.com