multimedia/gstreamer-plugins request

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Sep 19 11:59:45 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 16:19, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Gstreamer-plugins seems to keep getting bigger and bigger and more
> and more
> ports depend upon gstreamer-plugins. The problem with gstreamer-plugins
> is that it
> supports so much and is not built with many optional dependancies by
> default.
> A good example of a big problem is audio/rhythmbox, if you decide to
> build it with
> gstreamer-plugins and don't have mad and/or vorbis support in
> gstreamer-plugins you have to rebuild
> and reinstall gstreamer-plugins.
>
> My idea is splitting gstreamer-plugins in to smaller master/slave
> ports, similar to what has happened
> to all the php ports did last month. We have
> USE_GNOME=gstreamer-plugins right now which works
> but it is too broad and won't let you tell gstreamer "hey i need the
> XXX plugin for this program to work!"
> We need something that we can say we need XXX to run this. For exaple
> USE_MULTIMEDIA=gstreamer-faad
> would use the faad gstreamer plugin.
>
> In the long-term I think it would be smart to make USE_MULTIMEDIA (or
> what ever we call it) support
> more than just gstreamer-plugins because other multimedia ports such as
> audio/speex have about
> 15~ ports than depend on it so we could also do USE_MULTIMEDIA=speex,
> this would save time and
> effort in upgrading many ports. Or better yet, USE_MULTIMEDIA=xmms ....
>
> I am more than willing to help out or do all the work on splitting
> gstreamer-plugins
> in to master/slave ports. I also thought that since ports is in a
> freeze right now would be a good time to work on it
> if you agree with my ideas =)

There is actually some good sense to this since there are more and more
ports that require non-default gstreamer-plugins configurations.
However, this does add a large amount of administrative overhead.

The solution can't just be master/slave ports that frobnicate various
WITH_* macros since that would make a lot of conflicting ports.
Something similar to what was done with PHP would definitely need to be
done, and there is where all the overhead comes in.  I suggest you get
lioux and kwm's thoughts on this.  If they're okay with the work, then
this might be a much better solution than what we have today.

Joe