ports/73053: firefox 1.0PR cannot save preferences or bookmarks, when compiled WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Sun Oct 24 11:30:25 PDT 2004

The following reply was made to PR ports/73053; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms at spc.org>
To: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: gnome at FreeBSD.org, freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/73053: firefox 1.0PR cannot save preferences or bookmarks, when compiled WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:53:33 -0700

 On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 05:36:29PM +0000, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
 > First, have you tried the suggestions in /usr/ports/UPDATING pertaining to
 > the Firefox 1.0.p update?  If so, there have been bugs reported to Firefox's

 I have tried all of these suggestions with firefox 1.0PR, without success.

 I have used some of these techniques with previous firefox releases to
 resolve the specific earlier issues described, however.

 > Bugzilla that indicate this could be a permissions issue.  As root, try
 >
 > # chown -R bms ~/.mozilla/firefox

 All files and directories in the above were owned by bms when I ran 1.0PR.

 > I'm guessing your user is bms.  If that doesn't work, checkout the list of
 > bugs pertaining to saving bookmarks in Firefox's Bugzilla.  I have a feeling
 > you're not alone in this, but thus far, I have not been able to reproduce.
 >
 > Oh, and of course, make sure you're running Firefox 1.0.1.p_4.

 I have reverted to 0.9.3 to avoid the regressions for the time being.

 ktrace(8) did not reveal any system call errors (e.g EPERM, ENOSPC)
 during read()/write() around the time of bookmarking or preference
 save operations.

 I have observed these problems with www/mozilla releases in the past
 when using WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS.

 BMS