automatically create menu entries

Roman Kennke roman at ontographics.com
Wed Oct 6 04:10:44 PDT 2004

Hi FreeBSD-Gnome-list,

I've been using FreeBSD+Gnome for a while now and want to say first,
that I'm very pleased with this.

One thing that I am missing is menu entries for common applications like
Mozilla, Emacs, OpenOffice and so on. I would like to have this
configured automatically. I have some ideas how to accomplish this:

1. each application (port) is responsible for creating desktop entries
in the /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/applications (?) directory. ok, not a very
good solution. This could be supported by the ports system in some way.

2. someone (maybe me) starts to create (or maybe there exists) a
database of applications with their common binary locations and .desktop
entries for them. Then it should be easy to scan a computer for these
apps and include the desktop entries in
/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/applications directory

3. another cool system is Debians menu system. something similar could
be implemented in the ports system. This again gives the ports
developers some responsibility.

Such a system would not only be good for FreeBSD/Gnome but also for
other Freedesktop.org compliant window managers and/or OSes.

Is there interest in such a system? Does something like this already
exist in FreeBSD? Which approach would you like?

Best regards,
Roman