Gstreamer-plugins splitting ports .. needs testing and feed back ?

Michael Johnson ahze at ahze.net
Tue Oct 5 21:36:59 PDT 2004

On Oct 5, 2004, at 8:51 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>> On Tuesday 05 October 2004 04:07, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>>> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 21:51, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>>
>> If gstreamer-plugins becomes a metaport selector, no port may depend
>> on
>> this.  They must depends on a gstreamer-plugins-base and the plugins
>> it
>> really needs.
>>
>> I think it must detect PACKAGE_BUILDING and only depends on
>> gstreamer-plugins-base in that case.
>>
>> This is a real big 'logistic' effort.  It isn't by any means 'easy'.
>
> I don't really think we need a selector port, though that's certainly a
> possibility.  These plug-ins are pretty useless by themselves.  They're
> really only useful if another application will load them (yes, you can
> use the GST command line tools, but how many users really do that?).

Actually he may have a good idea, because there are ports like
multimedia/gstreamer-player
that will load and use any and every gstreamer plugin that it can find.

we could add say USE_GSTREAMER=all-select that will depend on
gstreamer-plugins-select
which will have a OPTION= for every plugin in bsd.gstreamer.mk

But then again when package building what ports do we choose for
defaults? Use USE_GSTREAMER=all
when PACKAGE_BUILDING is defined and depend on all 47 plugins?

Michael