Gstreamer-plugins splitting ports .. needs testing and feed back ?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue Oct 5 17:45:37 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 21:43, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I've tried to get ahold of lioux@ for a while now trying to talk to
> him about splitting multimedia/gstreamer-plugins in to separate ports
> for each plugin but I have not yet received a reply. So I have started
> splitting up gstreamer-plugins in to separate ports for each plugin
> I've spent about 5hours on it so far and I have completed a separate
> plugin for ever plugin we had before, 47 in all and all working. I have
> a working
> bsd.gstreamer.mk for use of WANT_GSTREAMER & USE_GSTREAMER=PLUGIN and
> one working port using USE_GSTREAMER, which is audio/rhythmbox
>
> I used NetBSD's pkgsrc a guide to see what they have done to split up
> gstreamer-plugins, can be viewed here
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/multimedia/gst-plugins/
> Makefile.common has all the goodies. Gentoo's Portage also does this
> and it gave me a few ideas also.
>
>  From my checklist I feel like I'm 90% done, but the last 10% will take
> 90% of the time.
>
> Checklist:
>
>   Done:
>    - bsd.gstreamer.mk
>    - separate gstreamer-plugins in single ports (47 new ports)
>
>   Todo:
>    - Retest all the ports
>    - Figure out which ports use gstreamer-plugins and which plugins each
> needs
>    - Code cleanup, spelling, any conflicts or needed dependencies within
> gstreamer-plugins
>
>   In-Question:
>    -  Figure out how to make configure faster and not check so much and
> only check what it needs
>         it takes longer to configure a gstreamer-plugins-X port than it
> does to build
>    - Should sys/ plugins also be separated in to their own ports (this
> includes cdrom, vcd, and oss audio)?
>       as of now they are built by default
>
> Please check it out and see
> cvs: cvs  -d:pserver:anoncvs at ahze.net:/home/cvs co gst-ports
> cvsweb: http://ahze.net:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gst-ports/
> tar.gz: http://ahze.net:8080/dist/gst-ports.tar.gz
>
> Positive and negative feedback is greatly appreciated

There's a lot here, and I certainly haven't been through it all.
Besides my earlier request to allow for a way to build all of
gstreamer-plugins in a monolithic way (like we can now) for testing
purposes, I would add that you should include bsd.gstreamer.mk twice in
bsd.port.mk (once during the bsd.port.pre.mk, and once during post).
This way it will work with things like OPTIONS.

Joe