wireless linksys-b usb adapter or pci card..

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue Oct 5 17:43:25 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 16:41, Blain Gatterdam wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Let's first start off by saying that I am I 15 year old "newbie" to UNIX. I
> grew up with Microsoft Windows, so this is a little different for me. My
> uncle set me up with gnome bsd not to long ago, before that I had KDE 3.1
> (*never knew how to use that either*). The purpose of this machine is to run
> 24X7 as a host web server.

Hmmm, usually you don't run desktop software on a webserver (for extra
security, and for resource reasons), but it's certainly doable.

>  I want user to remotely connect to my machine
> with other programs such as putty.exe.
>  But my uncle is familiar with this
> enough to help me there, I just need connected. I would prefer to be hooked
> up "wirelessly", but I don't know what gnome is compatible with. I use a
> LINKSYS USB-B (*wusb11*) on my "Microsoft machine", can I buy another
> adaptor for freebsd or gnome? It can be the usb one or the PCI type. I just
> need a little help getting this bad boy connected to the internet.

First, GNOME is simply a desktop.  It's a piece of software similar to
Explorer, the Start Menu, and the Taskbar in Windows.  It doesn't care
what type of network adapter you use.  The only thing that would care
are the various network applets, and all of them support all the various
network cards, both wired and wireless, in FreeBSD.

Second, it really depends on your version of FreeBSD as to which
wireless cards will work for you.  If you're using 5.2.1, 5.3-BETA, or
-CURRENT, you can make use of "Project Evil" which allows FreeBSD to use
Windows XP network drivers.  This means that virtually any wireless
network adapter will work (except USB).  If you're using FreeBSD 4.X,
your choices are pretty limited.  The Cisco wireless cards work quite
well, but are also very expensive.  USB wireless is more or less out of
the question in 4.X.  Your best bet is to read the man page for wi(4)
(``man wi''), and look at the list of supported cards (only 802.11b is
supported).  Your best bet is probably the Dlink DWL520 or the Linksys
WDT11.

Really, this question belongs on freebsd-questions@, and you might
consider editing it a bit, and reposting.  Other users might have better
PCI wireless suggestions.

Joe