BSDify Gnome - a suggestion

piotr.smyrak at heron.pl piotr.smyrak at heron.pl
Sun Oct 3 14:39:28 PDT 2004

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:51:31 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote

> piotr.smyrak at heron.pl wrote:
> | This is a thought that just happened to me during
> roaming and experiencing my | newly built 2.8. | | Please
> have a look here: | http://eko.org.pl/~smyru/shots/mime-
> dialog-idea.png | | This is a dialog that assign new
> application to a MIME type. It defaults to /usr/bin, |
> which I find a heavy linuxism, where the apps lay together
> with the base. I have no | idea how much work that would
> need - but since FreeBSD is more strict and | predictable
> when it comes to filesystem layout, I would like to
> suggest pointing it by | default to /usr/X11R6/bin. | |
> This is the location where most of the X base apps exist,
>  and I think it would be a | great benefit to system
> knowledge agnostic users, that have no knowledge besides |
> the graphical interface. | | I suppose there are some more
> fields where this might be a good thing also, but it is |
> the one that happened to me.
>
> What if we added some default bookmarks that point to X11
> Apps and Local Apps (names subject to change)?  I think
> this would be possible, but I haven't really investigated.

Well, I am not sure users would like this. The bookamrks space on
the left is small, and f.e. I don't like to clutter it with lots of objects,
because it quickly looses the character of one click access thing.

If the dialog opens up by default /usr/X11R6/bin instead of /usr/bin,
I think it would be enought here.

Do you know with part of the code is responsible for this dialog?
I would like to look at it.

--
 Piotr Smyrak
 piotr.smyrak at heron.pl