Printing problems with 2.8

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Nov 30 15:36:52 PST 2004

When I upgraded my Gnome to 2.8 and I am generally happy with things. I
was especially happy to see the improvements to the printing widgets. I
suddenly get a list of all of the printers in my printcap file and can
pick any of them. Of course, "Generic Postscript" is still available.

The problem I am having may be outside of Gnome, but I am not really
sure. If I print to any printer except "Generic Postscript", I get a
margin added to the document. This is even though the document already
has a margin. This results in off-center printing in the best case and
wrapping to another page in many cases. But, printing to "Generic
Postscript" adds no margin and the output is perfect.

Am I missing something in my configuration? Is it a CUPS thing or is it
Gnome?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)