Log of successful upgrade of GNOME 2.6.x to 2.8

Bob McDonald freebsd at dancingkayak.com
Mon Nov 29 12:04:18 PST 2004

I succeeded in upgrading GNOME from 2.6.x to 2.8.  I had some
difficulties, summarized as follows:

- problems downloading the source for devel/desktop-file-utils-0.9 since
the primary site was being rebuilt and the Makefile for this port in my
ports tree didn't include the alternate site

- x11-fm/nautilus2 failed to build due to an error detected by the
compiler in the source code: nautilus-image-properties-view.c:134: macro
'exif_content_get_value' used with too many (4) args

- www/mozilla failed to build due to "fetch: libart_lgpl.tar.bz2: local
modification time does not match remote"

- upgrading x11-toolkits/open-motif from 2.2.2_2 to 2.3 failed because I
have portaudit installed and 2.3 has a security problem (2.4 doesn't but
it isn't in the ports tree)

- undefined reference to 'krb5_free_data_contents' error when linking
ximian-connector-setup-2.0.2

My upgrade log is at
http://www.dancingkayak.com/other/freebsd/upgrade.html at the bottom of
the page.  This is a step-by-step description of what I did and what I
encountered, not the log file produced by the GNOME 2.6-2.8 upgrade
script. This was a multi-GUI upgrade, including GNOME, KDE, and
windowmaker.

--
Bob McDonald