Gnome 2.8 Applet Problems

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Nov 21 20:59:27 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 15:49 -0800, Randy Sato wrote:
> FreeBSD kirin 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Sun Nov  7 18:30:21
> PST 2004     root at kirin:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERN  alpha
>

> Not without a few problems, but after completing gnome_upgrade.sh, I
> started up X and get the following for a few applets.
>
> The panel encountered a problem while loading
> "OAFIID:GNOME_WindowListApplet".
> Details: Failed to resolve, or extend
> '!prefs_key=/apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/applet_2/prefs;
> background=none:;orient=up;size=x-small;locked_down=false

There was a problem with gconf schemas.  Make sure you have cvsup'd the
latest ports tree, and try another portupgrade.  You may also want check
gconf-editor, and see if that key actually exists.

> I also get something similar for the window list menu, and desktop
> switcher.
>
> The main problem I had with the update is libgnome fails during the
> compilation because in gnome-program.c (or something like that) gcc
> doesn't like 0 passed in for a va_list. After replacing 0 with a
> "va_list args", I could manually upgrade libgnome and gnome_upgrade.sh
> completes when I remove libgnome from the REINSTALL_PORTS.

That should work.

> Any ideas?

As I said, check you have the latest version of all the GNOME ports, and
then verify the existence of the above gconf key.

Joe