Unmounting SMB shares on the desktop

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Nov 20 17:43:59 PST 2004

I've found a rather annoying bug involving nautilus and gnomevfs when
used with SMB shares.  I my had my remote mp3 and home shares mounted
simultaneously on my desktop.  When I unmounted my home share by right
clicking on the icon the share was unmounted but I also lost access to
mp3 share.  The song playing in rhythmbox (located on the share) stop
playing and I could no longer browse the directory from my desktop.  I
brought up the nautilus browser and tried to browse the host
(smb://straycat) but no shares will list.  I ran ethereal and I see that
while attempting to browse my mp3 share no network traffic is generated
between my machine and my server.  I end up having to fix this by
sending a SIGHUP to nautilus to regain functionality.

On another note, gnomevfs has some problems getting my workgroup right
when I connect to a share.  It's using the default of WORKGROUP.  I had
to set it manually through the gconf key /system/smb/workgroup to get it
correct.  From looking at recent release notes (2.8.1) it should be
picking up the workgroup name from my system's smb.conf but it does not
appear to be.  Thanks.

Tom

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD