applications fail to open windows: gdesklets, evolution

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Thu Nov 18 17:33:37 PST 2004

+----[ Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> (16.Nov.2004 14:46):

| | Maybe too long ... what if I remove the old gnome stuff and
| | run the gnome_upgrade.sh script again?
| |
| | I'm not actually worried about the time it would take, but
| | about issues that may arise and that would make me start it
| | all over again. It's always been the case that I had to
| | manually deinstall && reinstall something, stop the run
| | because of running out of disk space, etc. And if you
| | already got any significant progress made, it just hurts
| | having to call portupgrade -af again ...
|
| Okay, then do portupgrade -rfu glib-2\*
|
| Joe

+----]

Done. After almost close to 48 hs the upgrade finished. All
of the ports that were upgraded configured and built fine.

Now evolution continues to refuse to startup. Again I used
truss(1) to see what was happening and the output is here:
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/evolution/evolution.truss

I must confess that I don't know how to read this output,
I'm just guessing ...but at least to my unexperienced eye the
output doesn't look too much different to what I got before:
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/evolution/old/evolution.1.truss

Since I'm still intrigued by this (I want to test
evolution's PIM features and see if I can drop korganizer!)
I collected some information about my system that might be
useful to debug this. Any help is appreciated.

FreeBSD-4.10p4 cvsup is from 48 hours ago.

All the files listed below are available from
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/evolution/

output collected while building evolution as part of the
glib-2\* upgrade => evolution.out.gz
output of 'ls -lR /usr/X11R6/lib/evolution' => evolution.libs.lslR
output of 'ldconfig -r' => ldconfig.out
output of 'ls /var/db/pkg' => pkg-18Nov2004.out
and my /etc/libmap.conf

Thanks in advance for any tip or suggestion. I'm beginning
to think that it's not just a matter of doing a portupgrade
-fa ... seems like something else needs to be fixed before
... but I don't know what.

Oh, and BTW, dasher now works fine.

Fernan

--
Fernán Agüero | Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnológicas
email         | fernan at { iib.unsam.edu.ar , mail.retina.ar }