About firefox new layout

Michael Johnson ahze at ahze.net
Wed Nov 17 03:38:53 PST 2004

On Nov 17, 2004, at 5:58 AM, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> El Miércoles, 17 de Noviembre de 2004 10:52, Michael Johnson escribió:
>> On Nov 17, 2004, at 3:47 AM, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

>> ---- snip ----
>> [...]
>>
>> how is this easier and safer?
>>

> The most common way to install firefox is with firefox[-config] and
> run-mozilla.sh in the same dir.  This is the most proven layout from
> the mozilla comunity.

The default firefox install installs firefox in bin/firefox

> Doing that, we don't need ${FILESDIR}/patch-browser_app_mozilla.in.
> And
> this really correct a bug.
>
> Also, you may compare /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla with
> /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox
>
> At last here, doing the same or even more, I feel safer with mozilla
> way.
>
> - You don't need to patch mainstream mozilla dist.
> - It's smaller and more clean.
>
> At a minimus, even a simple firefox like:
> #!/bin/sh
> #
>
> exec /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/firefox
>
> Wil get you a more proven way to launch firefox

>>> my version of /usr/X11/bin/firefox right now is attached.  But I'm
>>> not sure 100%. seems that firefox have config to alter the behavior
>>> of OpenURL(<url>).
>>>
>>> In any way I'll prefer:
>>> - drop ${FILESDIR}/patch-browser_app_mozilla.in (patch is not
>>> needed)
>>
>> you submitted the patch =P
>
> Yes.  And later see the layout change.
>
> The patch is correct.  What I'm talking is about move this stuff to a
> previous script and link both through exec if not using REMOTE.
>
> So we have our FreeBSD related stuff in ${PREFIX}/bin/firefox and the
> mainstream mozilla stuff (without patches) in
> ${PREFIX}/lib/firefox/firefox

This shouldn't matter because before the last commit bin/firefox was
linked to lib/firefox/lib/firefox-VERSION/bin/firefox

>>> - install firefox[-config] under ${PREFIX}/lib/firefox
>>
>> Why install firefox[-config] in PREFIX/lib/firefox?
>> I don't see any reason to do this. It's not like we have
>> www/firefox-devel or anything
>> that would conflict.
>
> Please, read above and see how ${PREFIX}/bin/mozilla and
> ${PREFIX}/lib/mozilla/mozilla work in the same way.

The major difference is bin/mozilla script has mail knobs
and firefox doesn't do mail.

>>> - install a brand new ${FILESDIR}/firefox.sh as
>>> ${PREFIX}/bin/firefox
>>
>> So basically the only thing you want is when you open 2 sessions of
>> firefox the
>> 2nd session doesn't open but opens a new tab?
>>

> Not really.  This may be taken with or without script split.
>
> I can send-pr to what is prefer:
> - more patching to patch-browser_app_mozilla.in
> - script split.

I still don't understand why it's important to install firefox in
lib/firefox
and why we can't just edit  patch-browser_app_mozilla.in ?

Can you please explain why this is important, I still don't understand
why
installing firefox, firefox-config in lib/firefox is so important, or
why it matters?

> Also, if we go to script split, this must reach thunderbird also.

Why?