applications fail to open windows: gdesklets, evolution

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Tue Nov 16 09:35:24 PST 2004

+----[ Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> (15.Nov.2004 18:55):

| | Do you see anything particularly telling?
|
| Yes, you have multiple versions of glib, gtk+, and pango linked into
| Evolution.  You did not do the upgrade to GNOME 2.8 properly.

Thanks for helping. And sorry for the delay in replying.

I did use the upgrade script ... and as far as I can tell,
it did fine during the 'Big Update' ...  except for
openoffice and eclipse, which failed because of a backup
error (/var/tmp filled up) and a couple of other ports which
failed on uninstall. For those I just had to to a 'make
deinstall && make reinstall'. For OOo and eclipse, I just
built them afterwards. After doing this by hand I resumed
the upgrade procedure as it would have been done by the
script ...

Now I don't see multiple versions of pango, but I do
see two glib and two gtk versions:

[fernan at pi] pkg_glob pango
pango-1.6.0
[fernan at pi] pkg_glob glib
glib-1.2.10_8
glib-2.4.0
[fernan at pi] pkg_glob gtk
gtk-1.2.10_10
gtk-2.4.13

Now, maybe it's just because I have some libraries and stuff
from gnome 1.x around? A quick look at my list of installed
ports show a few that I think (I might be wrong here) depend
on old gnome stuff:
icewm-gnome
frontline
openoffice
gnucash

'pkg_glob -r ORBit-0.5.17_1' shows this list of old stuff:
oaf-0.6.10_1
libcapplet-1.4.0.5_1
gnomemm-1.2.4_1
libgda-0.2.96_1
icewm-gnome-1.2.7_1
gdkxft-gnome-1.5_1
bonobo-1.0.20_2
frontline-0.5.4
gnomelibs-1.4.2_1
openoffice-1.1.3_1
gnomeprint-0.35
libglade-0.17_2
gnomevfs-1.0.5_4
gnomecontrolcenter-1.4.0.5_1
gnomedb-0.2.96_1
gconf-1.0.9
gtkhtml-1.1.10
glibwww-0.2_1
gal-0.24
guppi-0.40.3_4
gnomecanvas-0.22.0

| | I'll appreciate if you can give me some clue. If you don't
| | know the solution please guide me as to what you think might
| | be at fault: evolution, gnome?, my system?
|
| These evolution problems only seem to be happening on your machine. Evo
| works just fine for me on 4.X, 5.X, and 6.X.
|
| What I recommend you do is:
|
| portupgrade -afu
|
| This will run for a very long time, but when it's done, you
| should be okay.

+----]

Maybe too long ... what if I remove the old gnome stuff and
run the gnome_upgrade.sh script again?

I'm not actually worried about the time it would take, but
about issues that may arise and that would make me start it
all over again. It's always been the case that I had to
manually deinstall && reinstall something, stop the run
because of running out of disk space, etc. And if you
already got any significant progress made, it just hurts
having to call portupgrade -af again ...

Thanks again,

Fernan

--
Fernán Agüero | Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnológicas
email         | fernan at { iib.unsam.edu.ar , mail.retina.ar }