problems with fresh gnome-2.8.1 installation

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Nov 12 21:09:11 PST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:39:20 -0300, Fernan Aguero
<fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar> wrote:

<snip>
> The screenshot of the visible part of the menu is here
> http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/gnome-menu.gif

http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/kde-menu.png

My above screenshot, I recently installed KDE 3.3.1 package (pkg_add -r
kde) from http://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/ (from http://freebsd.kde.org/)
and the menu looks nicer than your. Maybe, it's because your KDE is out of
date?

As for KFileReplace, KImageMapEditor, KLinkStatus and KXSLDbg aren't
inside KDE menu, because it doesn't has any of 'Categories' in their
*.desktop. For example, check in
${LOCALBASE}/share/applnk/Development/quanta.desktop and you will see it
has 'Categories=Qt;KDE;Development'. Any *.desktop that don't have
'Categories', I call it a bug even thought freedesktop.org said that it
doesn't required.

> As for the KDE apps being there, now I see where they come
> from! I was intrigued that having renamed my .kde files the
> entries in the menu were still there.
>
> However, is it necessary to reinstall gnomevfs2?
> From reading the Makefile I think that perhaps I can just
> remove the 'KDE.directory' file from
> ${PREFIX}/share/gnome/vfolders. Would this do it?
>
> Fernan

FreeBSD GNOME Team