problems with fresh gnome-2.8.1 installation

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Nov 12 13:39:52 PST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:35:58 -0300, Fernan Aguero
<fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar> wrote:

> +----[ Michael Johnson <ahze at ahze.net> (12.Nov.2004 16:50):
> |

> | On Nov 12, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> |
> | >Excuse me but ... what is marcuscom? a machine you test
> | >gnome on? I mean not the building of gnome but actually
> | >using it?
> |
> | http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/develfaq.html#q3
> |
> +----]
>
> I see. Now regarding the recommendation to add things to
> /etc/make.conf, are these flags safe to be used _globally_?

Yes, safe but will make binary bigger and might slow down the apps. I have
a fast machine, so I can't tell the difference of speed for with and
without debug. This is only useful if you have apps that crash and etc, so
you can get the backtraces from gdb and send it to developers or mailing
list.

Mergeant/gnome-database libraries in development version at marcuscom
(ports module) are more stable and work better, but it is still buggy.
Yes, I am talking about run them. ;-)

> Would this affect building world, kernel and other ports?

Yes, I usually disable them when I do the buildworld/kernel. All my ports
have been compiled with the debug, because I always use the development
version.

> Also, in the develfaq it is mentioned that Gnome has stable
> and development versions ... what do these look like in
> marcuscom? ports-stable and ports-experimental?

ports-stable is empty; it's for when the ports tree freeze.
ports-experimental should be gone soon or already by repo from
ports-experimental to ports. The ports is bleeding edge/development, so it
will have GNOME 2.9 soon, a unstable version.

> Now, I'd like to have evolution working (see my previous
> post) ... is there any experimental work on this port? I
> don't see anything in ports-experimental/mail ...

Because, there is no tarball of development version for evolution yet if I
am not mistake. I didn't check on evolution and I don't use it too.

> Thanks,
>
> Fernan

FreeBSD GNOME Team