Want to play w/ Coaster? Here's a port of it.

Damian damian at indignation.org
Fri Nov 12 12:45:58 PST 2004

Please excuse my faulty coherence/setup, I've noticed a few emails from
this list didn't make it back to me due to my mail box crashing and a
few responses regarding this topic were made. Anyways, coaster looks
like a very promising burning app from gnome. It'd be quite a loss not
to make it part of the freebsd-gnome "suite". Many people I speak to who
run freebsd and gnome have to resort to the painstaking task of using
k3b which depends on qt,kdelibs, and friends. Of course there is the
problem with the author temporarily supporting nautilus-burn. I'm not
quite sure how long this phase will last, but if they made such a
transition, is it safe to say it will last more than a few months?
Afterall, the work of porting their app to use a new backend seems
pretty painstaking if their problems with libburn will be resolved
fairly quickly. They could have just halted development and waited if it
was coming in a short time. I've sent an email to the coaster-devel list
regarding this issue. I'd really like coaster to come aboard to freebsd,
but it'd be pretty futile to port such an app and later be abandoned by
its authors for the libburn backend. So I guess my question regarding
the debate of adding coaster to ports is, how long will this
"transition" last and would it be of benefit for freebsd to embrace it
while it lasts (if very long)?

Damian