problems with fresh gnome-2.8.1 installation

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Nov 12 10:55:21 PST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:41:16 -0300, Fernan Aguero
<fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I've been using gnome since yesterday and have noticed some
> problems, and a few cosmetic issued. Listed below, in no
> particular order are:
>
> - dasher (Applications->Accessibility->dasher) crashes upon
>   launch. It starts to draw the window but never finishes.
>   Error message: The Application dasher has quit unexpectedly

Should be fixed recently by marcus. Try to update your ports tree, then
update dasher. Umm, insteresting this crash doesn't happened when it was
in marcuscom when I played with dasher.

> - I have also seen this happen once with mergeant
>   (Applications->Office->Mergeant Database Administration)
>   however, in another gnome-session it launched fine. This
>   is not the case with dasher.

Mergeant is not stable, but the version in marcuscom works better than in
FreeBSD ports tree.

> - evolution does not launch. Clicking on the evolution icon
>   or just executing /usr/X11R6/bin/evolution does not work.
>   In the first case, the cursor turns to a watch for a while
>   and then turns again into an arrow. In all cases two
>   processes are run, and these keep running forever:
>   evolution-2.0
>   /usr/X11R6/libexec/evolution-data-server-1.0 --oaf-activate-iid=OAF
>
>   The first process is always shown topmost by top(1):
> PID USERNAME   PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME    WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> 80846 fernan   64   0  24856K 15172K RUN      2:30  97.51% 97.46%
> evolution-2.
>
> - the applications menu is laaarge. For some reason, it
>   included all my KDE apps in the main menu and not in the
>   more specific KDE submenu. Also for no apparent reason,
>   three KDE apps are in their corresponding menus (ark,
>   konqueror and kmix).

Reinstall gnomevfs2 with WITHOUT_KDE_MENUS define. As you said that it is
large, can you take the screenshot of it? You can send it to me in private
if you don't have any web space to put. I worked on KDE menu to make it
looks nicer than default, but I haven't touch it ever since for pretty
long time.

> I don't know if this is being experienced by other people
> ... anyway, in case it is of any help, here's some
> additional info:
>
> I've not used gnome before 2.8.1, though I do have some
> gnome apps ... anyway this is what I did to start my first
> gnome session:
>
> - renamed all my .gnome* files and directories to their
>   corresponding .gnome*.old, did the same with my .kde* files
>   and dirs, just in case

You don't have to, between 2.6 and 2.8 shouldn't change anything in dot
files.

> - logged out of my fluxbox session
> - changed .xsession to have 'gnome-session' instead of 'startfluxbox'
> - logged in again (using xdm)
>
> Oh, and BTW, I'm using FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p3. In case it
> is necessary I can provide the output of `ls ${PKGDB}`.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Fernan

FreeBSD GNOME Team