gnome 2.8 and emacs keybindings

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Nov 11 08:28:59 PST 2004

> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:09:58 -0500
> From: Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> >> (11.11.2004 @ 0952 PST): Richard Kuhns said, in 1.3K: <<
> > Hello all,
> >   I'm feeling particularly dense right now, and would appreciate some
> > help. After a recent (apparently successful) upgrade from 2.6 to 2.8, my
> > emacs keybindings are gone. I found a message from Joe Marcus Clarke
> > with the following:
> >
> > ===
> > For reverting all control keys to the Emacs style, just add the
> > following to ~/.gtkrc-2.0:
> >
> > gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
> >
> > Or, if running GNOME, use the Keyboard Shortcuts capplet to change the
> > Text editing shortcuts to Emacs.
> > ===
> >
> > I tried creating ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with the line he mentioned, logged out,
> > and logged back in (I'm running gdm) -- no difference, and I can't find
> > any mention of Text editing at all in Applications -> Desktop
> > Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts.
> >
> > Grepping for 'emacs' and 'bind' in /usr/ports/UPDATING didn't come up
> > with anything either.

> > 	- Rich
> >> end of "gnome 2.8 and emacs keybindings" from Richard Kuhns <<
>
> emacs keybindings are stored in ~/.emacs or some similarly named file.

I don't think he means the key-bindings used by Emacs, but the key
bindings used by Gnome widgets that accept text. For doing text editing
in these widgets, you have a set of default Gnome binding, but those who
normally use a particular editor, such as Emacs, vim, or vi, can work
better if they can use the same key binding that are defaults in their
normal editor.

Most shells have this capability, at least with vi and emacs binding,
and so did Gnome. I hope it's still there as I (as an XEmacs user) have
problems with using the Gnome defaults. They work, but I am always
having to stop and think about them. If emacs bindings were available,
my use of Gnome would be more efficient.

BTW, all of the standard emacs bindings are in the standard elisp files
loaded at start times. Only personal modifications are in ~/.emacs. I
would not expect Gnome to deal with these, just the "normal" ones used
for simple editing.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)