Upgrade to Gnome-2.8 from Gnome-2.6.x using script failed

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Thu Nov 11 03:45:26 PST 2004

Hello,
     I've attempted to upgrade Gnome-2.6.x on my FreeBSD-4.10-Stable machine using the script at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq28.html#q2, which fails.

As per the instructions in the failure message:
# sh ./gnome_upgrade.sh

To prevent crashing your system, as well as to significantly speed up the
upgrade, you are strongly advised to run this program from a console.  If any
GNOME or Gtk+-2 application is running, you MUST abort now.

If necessary, hit Control-C now, drop to a terminal, and restart the upgrade.

You can watch the upgrade process in real-time by running:
                tail -f /var/tmp/gnome_upgrade_log.AFcNzy

===> Running /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb to start with a consistent package database ...
DONE.
===> Running /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb again, to resolve any inconsistencies that require manual interaction ...
--->  Checking the package registry database
DONE.

DONE.
===> Running /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb after updating GNOME dependencies ...
DONE.

a part of another GNOME application.

relies upon them. (The Big Update)
Note: this will take a LONG time (a bit longer than it took to build it all
the first time ...).  If you've been planning a day trip, now would be a great
time to take it.

*** UPGRADE FAILED ***

===> /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade failed to run a recursive upgrade on atk
pango.  The output of the failed build is in /var/tmp/gnome_upgrade_log.AFcNzy.
If you require additional help in figuring out why the upgrade failed, please
compress /var/tmp/gnome_upgrade_log.AFcNzy and send it to
freebsd-gnome at FreeBSD.org.

Please find the compressed log file attached. I'd appreciate your assistance in resolving this upgrade failure, please.

Regards,

Stacey