GNOME 2.8.1 now available for FreeBSD

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 7 16:52:55 PST 2004

GNOME 2.8.1 has been merged into the ports tree.  The release notes
detailing all of the new goodies in GNOME 2.8 can
be found at http://www.gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/, and the list of what
was fixed in GNOME 2.8.1 can be found at
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2004-October/msg00056.html.

This release, as well as all of our others, would not have been possible
without the great efforts of our FreeBSD GNOME Team.  The list of
current members can be found at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/contact.html (including our newest member,
Michael Johnson <ahze at FreeBSD.org>).

Special thanks also goes out to all of the loyal FreeBSD GNOME users
that put up with crashes and hangs to test and debug GNOME on FreeBSD.
We would especially like to thank those users that provided patches for
GNOME 2.7 and 2.8:

Franz Klammer <klammer at webonaut.com>
Piotr Smyrak <piotr.smyrak at heron.pl>
Radek Kozlowski <radek at raadradd.com>
Khairil Yusof <kaeru at pd.jaring.my>
Yasuda Keisuke <kysd at po.harenet.ne.jp>
Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org>
Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova at fbsd.ru>

GNOME 2.8 also features a new, FreeBSD-specific splashscreen that
was designed by jimmac for GNOME 2.8, then daemonized by
Franz Klammer <klammer at webonaut.com> and Radek Kozlowski
<radek at raadradd.com>.

As with GNOME 2.6, you cannot just "portupgrade" to GNOME 2.8.  See
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/docs/faq28.html for instructions on how to
update to GNOME 2.8.

Enjoy!

Marcus on behalf of the FreeBSD GNOME Team

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome