gconf-editor "bools" values

bgruber lists at bgruber.isa-geek.com
Thu May 27 20:38:55 PDT 2004

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 00:56, bgruber wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've been having a problem with gconf-editor.  I find that sometimes,
>>when I click on the value of a key, the value suddenly becomes "true" (a
>>check mark), regardless of what the type of the key is!  Weirder still,
>>it won't let me change the type of the key; I have to unset it, and then
>>go from there.  Note that this only happens when selecting a line in the
>>right pane by clicking in the "Value" column, and clicking in the Name
>>column causes no problem.  It's also inconsistent; some values seem to
>>change every time, others never.  I have come to the conclusion however
>>that it has to be the first thing clicked on in the right pane after
>>starting gconf-editor; if I hit something else which doesn't change
>>first, or select something by clicking in the Name column, I don't have
>>any problem at all.
>>
>>Can anyone else confirm this?  I have a hunch this will be one for
>>bugzilla, but I figured I'd ask here first.
>

> What are some sample keys?  I certainly was not able to reproduce this
> with the keys I tested.
>
> Joe
again, it's inconsistent.  i imagine there is some pattern, but i am
missing it at the moment.  so far, i have noticed the problem with:

/apps/sound-juicer/device
/apps/panel/profiles/default/general/applet_id_list

so those are 2 different types of values too (the first is a string, the
second a list of strings.  poking around, i was able to come up with a
couple more:
/apps/metacity/general/action_double_click_titlebar
/apps/nautilus/icon_view/default_sort_order and default_zoom_level

that's just from kind of randomly poking at a few.  it seems to be true
more often than not.  again, it will only happen once each time i run
gconf-editor, in order to get another one to "bool" i have to quit and
restart the program.

thanks,
brian