Gnome 2.6.1 problems

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat May 22 17:42:22 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 04:31, TooManySecrets wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Anybody could help me with this problem, please?

You didn't include the screen shot.

> Thank you.
>
> El lun, 17-05-2004 a las 23:31, TooManySecrets escribió:
> > Hi guys!
> >
> > I don't know, exactly, if this is the correct place for make that
> > question. Sorry if it isn't and my bad english.
> >
> > Ever since I updated my gnome 2.4.x (under FreeBSD 5.2.1-pX) to 2.6,
> > throught shell script from you, certain things doesn't work in the right
> > manner...
> > If a try to change the background picture from my desktop (clicking
> > right mouse, last option), only appear a window, but without any button,
> > combo box, or anything is possible to appear here. Only a few lines, but
> > no letter or words are visible from here.

This usually points to some binaries being linked to old libraries.  You
could use ldd to determine which binaries are still linked to libraries
in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg, then use pkg_info -W to determine which
port installed those binaries, and rebuild those ports.

For gnome-background-properties, you should first try rebuilding
gnomecontrolcenter2.

> > I have proven to recompile several times the "gnome2" port, deinstalling
> > first with "pkg_delete -xfpr gnome", and the same with "gtk". But
> > continuous having the same problems.

This does not guarantee you will remove everything (it does not cover
glib20 or pango, for example).  If you really want to remove gnome2, you
should use pkg_deinstall -Rf gnome2 (that will remove X, and a lot of
other ports, too, though).