gnome won't start

Khong SF khongs at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 23:45:16 PDT 2004

Hi

I've been using FreeBSD 4.7-stable on a PIII box for a while.
I tried  for weeks to get the gnome1.4 desktop running but to no prevails.
The problems i encountered were:

1) when gnome starts, it pop up a diaglog box saying
    " unable to find host adress for.
      please check the file /etc/hosts ...... blah blah blah"
     Then it gave me choices to continue/ try again,
     if i click try again, the diaglog box appear again & if i click
continue, the blank desktop just freezed

2)  My  /etc/hosts file is OK,  it looks like below:
     ::1		localhost localhost.my.domain
     127.0.0.1 	localhost localhost.my.domain

3) my X11 & windowmaker (Enlightenment) start just  fine, but every time
when i exit the
    windowmaker, the same situation like problem 1) reappear.

4) the Xserver-error file in my home dir sounds like this:
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    Gtk-warning **: cannot open display: :0
    SESSION_MANAGER=local/:tmp/.ICE-unix/274

5) do i need Openssh in order to run X11 &/ gnome1.4 ?
    just what's wrong with my gnome desktop ?

Many thanks for those who can help.

regards,
winter.