gweather/Locations

Piotr Smyrak piotr.smyrak at heron.pl
Sun May 16 08:17:08 PDT 2004

On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:49:41 -0700, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>
 wrote:

> > From: Piotr Smyrak <piotr.smyrak at heron.pl>
> >
> > Do you know of any information source on the format of gweather
> > Locations file?
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gweather/Locations
>
> Use the source. Search for 'url' in weather.c and you will find
> that it gets data from various places at NOAA. The primary
> information for current weather is at metar.noaa.gov. Forecasts
> come from other NOAA sites and I am not sure how many non-US
> locations are available.

Yes, this is what I was doing, but all I get is some understanding
of the fields, but I fail to find information on what kind of code
most of them require, and where I can get those codes.

So those are: name, code, zone, radar. And for:

loc3=Anchorage PANC AKZ015 alaska

name is Anchorage
code is PANC
zone is AKZ015
and finally radar is alaska

The code is actually an ICAO code for air ports, but what about zone
and radar? Is zone a postal zip or what?

I wanted to update info on Polish cities. And yesterday I got the
ICAO codes ready, but I would also like to fill the other two
fields. Also I was wondering about the regions codes, whether there
is any world standard in there, see:

[NA_US]
name=United States
regions=AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE DC FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME
MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN
TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

... and:

[EU_UK]
name=United Kingdom