nautilus crashes when remote systems are mounted

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu May 13 20:47:13 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 15:56, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 00:35, Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> > Hi all, I've just started noticing that when I mount a remote system, be
> > it smb or sftp, through the Connect to Server option in nautilus,
> > nautilus crashes when I go to the computer:/// location.  I cvsuped
> > yesterday and rebuilt so I have the latest gnomevfs2 package but that
> > still does not help the problem.  The following is what I received from
> > gdb after attaching to the /usr/X11R6/libexec/gnome-vfs-daemon process
> > and recreating the crash:
>
> This looks like a libpthread problem.  It's also one I cannot
> reproduce.  I'm running:
>
> FreeBSD gyros.marcuscom.com 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #23: Mon May
> 10 17:49:51 EDT 2004
> marcus at gyros.marcuscom.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GYROS  i386
>
> Try updating world and kernel, and see if that helps.
>
> Joe

Joe, I cvsuped -current and rebuilt/reinstalled the kernel and world.  I
am still receiving the same crash and the backtrace is exactly the
same.  I also found something else.  I attached to the gnome-vfs-daemon
and decided to fire up rhythmbox so I could get my groove on while
looking at this.  The mp3s in my playlist happen to be on an smb share
which I mount through nautilus.  Again gnome-vfs-daemon crashes and
spits out the same backtrace.  Once I close down gdb I can play my music
fine.

I take it nautilus is essentially fine and only crashing because
gnome-vfs-daemon is crashing.  But nautilus only crashes when I go to
"computer:///".  I can still browse my remote mounts by clicking their
icon on the desktop.  This isn't a problem caused by the smb share since
nautilus crashes if I only have an sftp share mounted as well.  Not sure
what exactly is going on.

Tom