ports/66439: portupgrade -R pilot-link-0.11.8_2 fails with latest cvsup

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Mon May 10 16:08:05 PDT 2004

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>"
To: To Mikhail Teterin
Date: Mon, 10 May, 2004 22:36 BST
Subject: Re: ports/66439: portupgrade -R pilot-link-0.11.8_2 fails with latest cvsup

> On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 17:27, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/66439
> >
> > =	=== Aborted, please remove /nonexistent
> >
> > =I noted the message, but I'm a bit weary of removing that directory as
> > =its was created, and being used by gdm, the www user and one or two
> > =others *by default*. That is, I did-not-create-that directory.
> >
> > =What I'm curious about is the fact that I've been using FreeBSD / Gnome
> > =/ Evolution / pilot-link on this box for years, without having this
> > =issue until now. Is there something in this..,
> >
> > I made pilot-link default to Tk-8.4 (rather than 8.3 as before). So it
> > tries to build Tk-8.4 and fails because /nonexistent is there. I have no
> > idea, why gdm would create it... Gnome, any comments?
>
> We don't create it explicitly, but it is used for the gdm user home
> directory.  Perhaps pw is creating it...

Had a look through man pw(8), and here is the relevant section:

-s shell   Set or changes the user's login shell to shell.  If the
   path to the shell program is omitted, pw searches the
   shellpath specified in /etc/pw.conf and fills it in as
   appropriate.  Note that unless you have a specific reason
   to do so, you should avoid specifying the path - this will
   allow pw to validate that the program exists and is exe-
   cutable.  Specifying a full path (or supplying a blank ""
   shell) avoids this check and allows for such entries as
   /nonexistent that should be set for accounts not intended
   for interactive login.

So for those users / applications that should not be issued with logins (like gdm, www & nobody) get issued with "/nonexistent" as home dirs by default. I've mentioned this before in another thread previously, but didn't get very far with the maintainer concerned at the time, who insisted that I "must have created /nonexistent myself" at some point.

I'd be interested to see how this turns out, please.

Regards,

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts