Lots of core files with latest xscreensaver-gnome

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed May 5 08:39:07 PDT 2004

> Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 06:26:50 +0100
> From: Stacey Roberts <stacey at vickiandstacey.com>
>
> Hi Kevin,
> >
> > Gnomemeeting should not be a problem in this regard. It has also been
> > pulled from the standard gnome2 meta-port, so building gnome2 won't even
> > try to build gnomemeeting.
>
> Actually Kevin, running "portupgrade -u -a -f" *does* attempt to
> rebuild Gnomemeeting, which failed. The rebuild has kept on going
> though, which I-suppose-is-kinda-okay? My question is, what affect is
> this likely to have on the machine at the end of this (so far 30-odd
> hour) rebuild?
>
> I'm also curious as to why Gnomemeeting *was* a part of this, given
> the suggestion (above) that it shouldn't.

I should clarify. portupgrade -f will attempt to reinstall any port or
package that is installed on the system. This certainly includes
gnomemeeting, openh323, and pwlib. But this should not be a problem any
longer as no other port is dependent on gnomemeeting.

The result should be a clean upgrade of all functional packages and an
error about gm and warnings on any forbidden packages (like
openh323). It should work fine except for the annoying messages and the
fact that GnomeMeeting won't work.

Previously GM was a part of gnome, and an installation of Gnome2 would
install it. I suspect that it still does on Linux. I really hope to get
it working again on FreeBSD. Craig Southern fixed the security problem
that got it tagged as "forbidden" long ago, but the fixed version has
never been ported.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)