Gnome starting problem

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 23:32:00 PDT 2004

Hi Joe,

 --- Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> wrote: >
On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 23:13, Stephen Liu wrote:

> > # cd /usr/ports/devel/ORBit2
> > make install clean
> >
> > Rebooted PC
> >
> > $ pkg_info | grep -i orbit2
> > ORBit2-2.8.2        High-performance CORBA ORB
> with
> > support for the C language
> >
> > $ gnome-session
> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Share object
> > "libORBit-2.so.0" not found
> >
> > Problem still there.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq26.html
>
> Follow every step to the letter.

I was running Gnome 2.4 which was working normally
before. I mis-applied "make deinstall' to remove
'automake-1.5,1'. After starting I saw it started to
remove files which were needed I closed the Konsole
Window. Since then I have not run Gnome and don't know
wheher it is still working.

About yesterday I ran
# pkg_delete -r automake-1.5,1

then
# cd /usr/ports/devel/automake17
# make install clean
to install automake-1.7.5_1

Then I started Gnome and found it could not work.

I hesitate to run portsupgrade to upgrade Gnome to 2.6
because I am running a slow PC. Any other solution.

TIA

B.R.
Stephen