Getting rhythmbox-0.8.2 to play nicely with m4a

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat May 1 11:39:01 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 14:29, Peter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry if this goes against the charter of this list, but I thought I'd share what I learned today with others.
>
> I use a mixed envioronment of OS and hardware at home, and ended up deciding on m4a for music formats for space reasons on my iPod.
>
> I like to be able to play audio on my -CURRENT machine, and like the way rhythmbox works, so I decided to get m4a working with it. This is what I did.
>
> The sparse documentation for rhythmbox says that the mp4.h files from faad are what work with rhythmbox, but I found that mpeg4ip is actually what worked for me.
>
> Install ports/multimedia/mpeg4ip
> Compile and rhythmbox-0.8.2 with the xine backend, and make sure to edit the Makefile to include --enable-mp4 as a CONFIGURE_ARG.

Why xine?  What happens with gstreamer and MP4?

> My install of gnome-2.6 does not seem to recognize audio/x-m4a as a MIMEtype, so I also had to edit /usr/local/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml and add the following to it:

[patch elided]

This is a good thing to submit to FreeDesktop.  I checked their CVS
repo, and they have not yet added the m4a MIME type.  I'm sure they
would appreciate this.  Note: you will also need to provide a patch to
the freedesktop.org.xml.in file (but that's the easy part).  Use
http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/index.cgi to submit your patch.