libXft causing gimp install to crash.

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Mar 30 17:24:40 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:41:12 -0600, Jason Zimberoff <zim at svs.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am trying to follow the directions given to me when this error
> happened, and I am sending you the logs.
>
> Can you please help me get this figured out?

You need to update all of your apps first, before you can install anything
 from the ports tree. Which meaning, start to use the portupgrade tools.

> I am using FreeBSD 5.0.  uname output attached...

Please update your FreeBSD to 5.2.1-RELEASE or -CURRENT.

> I did a clean install from a CD, went thru cvsup for ports only, and
> portsdb -Uu.

Do you mean, you installed some packages from the CD? If yes, then it's a
bad idea because it's heavy out of date, which it's around a year old. If
I were you, I would grab newer FreeBSD CD (5.2.1) and redo the installtion
of FreeBSD to use UFS2, then don't use any package from the CD and update
your ports tree first when you are going to install the apps.

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.