Review gstreamer{,-plugins} + libmpeg2 updates

Koop Mast kwm at rainbow-runner.nl
Tue Mar 30 10:08:32 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 22:04 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 20:11, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:

> > > Sounds like there may be some issues with the new libmpeg2 library.
> > > What other libmpeg2 apps have you tested?
> >
> > 	According to what I could gather from gstreamer mailing lists,
> > it seems to be something with the way gstreamer is scheduling the mpeg
> > stream.... They're complaining about problems with Totem. I didn't
> > test Totem but I can guarantee problems with gst-player.
> >
> > 	So it leaves us with the question: do we update libmpeg2
> > then upgrade gstreamer-* breaking gnome mpeg support? I'd rather
> > hold on libmpeg2 update until we can guarantee gnome's functionality.
> >
> > 	And now, after a 'portupgrade -a', it seems I cannot reproduce
> > the "problem". My gst-player simply won't work for anything instead of
> > just breaking with mpeg.
> >
> > 	Anyway, take a look a let me know.
>
> I know GNOME works just fine with 0.6.5 so that's not a big deal.  Any
> word on the gst lists about libmpeg2 with gstreamer-0.7.6?  If they work
> together, I can commit the libmpeg2 update to my CVS repo, and bring it
> in with GNOME 2.6 at the end of the month.
>
> Koop Mast is working on keeping the list of plug-ins up-to-date in
> gst-0.7.x.  I'll see if he would be interested in testing out the new
> libmpeg2 and see how it behaves.
>
> Joe

Almost all mpeg file I could find, and that is a diverce lot.
I tested those mpeg's that gave very slow playback or wouldn't play at
all on a 5.2-Current box which ran with the old libmpeg2 that is in the
ports, and that gave the same result. So I'm pretty sure those are
gstreamer issues.

I tested it with gstreamer-player 0.8.0.

Koop