Exporting Config FIles

Jason Dusek jdusek at cs.uiowa.edu
Wed Mar 24 21:34:20 PST 2004

Hi Everyone,

Piotr Smyrak wrote to me directly with a simple suggestion - I include
his comments below along with my reply.

Piotr Smyrak wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:07:51 -0600, Jason Dusek
><jdusek at cs.uiowa.edu>  wrote:
>

>>I need to setup a nifty GNOME configuration for several users,
>>with a large number of launchers and similar conveniences.
>>However, most of the users need basically the same stuff - so what
>>I should do is set it up once for one of them, and then export it.
>> How do I do that?
>>

>Skeletons?

If you grep your gnome config files for your name, you'll find that your
own directory structure is hard coded into them.  So, simply copying
your stuff into /usr/shar/skel is not a good idea - because if one user
changes a certain configuration option, it could change that feature for
/all/ the users.  There needs to be some kind of 'transfer to so and so'
option.  I was wondering if any work had been done on this, or if anyone
had a workaround.

--
~*~* Jason