mozilla silently failing?

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Thu Mar 18 08:11:53 PST 2004

Mike,

> Any way to figure out why it's failing?  It just doesn't launch, I get
> nothing on the console, ./xesssion-errors, or /var/log/all.log...
>
> Galeon crashes on startup with a segfault, and Epiphany runs for a
> while and then also segfaults..

in order to help you, we need more information:

- Which version of FreeBSD are running?
- Please attach a list of all of your installed packages (output of
  pkg_info)
- Does it work, when you have a pristine enviroment? The easiest way to
  get one, is to create a new account, since you'll be sure that you
  won't have any old mozilla, galeon, gnome etc. config files around.
- If that doesn't help, please build[1] a debugging version of mozilla,
  see, if you can get a core dump (maybe with galeon or epiphany), and
  post a backtrace[2]

Simon

[1] Put the following into /etc/make.conf
CFLAGS=-O -pipe -g
STRIP=

[2] gdb /usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin mozilla.core

gdb> bt