HEADS UP: GNOME 2.6 TODO list

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 13 15:36:21 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 04:03, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:33:21 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
> wrote:
>
> > It's that time again.  We're closing in on the next major GNOME
> > release.  There's going to be some really bitchin new changes in this
> > release including the super-sexy (well better) GTK+ file chooser,
> > spacial Nautilus, better icons and MIME support, faster Yelp, better
> > volume handling for FreeBSD, some new desktop modules, and other cool
> > stuff.
> >
> > This time around, we're trying to make it easy for the user to upgrade,
> > so we've pounded out an upgrade script.  If that still causes problems
> > for users, we will have full GNOME 2.6.0 packages for all supported
> > versions of FreeBSD ready when 2.6.0 hits the ports tree.  Pretty nifty,
> > eh?
>
> GNOME team did the awsome job on this, so thanks! :-) I will try to test
> many stuff and others as usually.
>
> Do you still need someone to test on upgrade script or it's done?

I think Adam has kicked the crap out of the script for port upgrades.
Unless you can think of a bizarre GNOME 2.4 state from which you'd like
to try and update, you should probably skip the script test.

One thing we will need to test are package upgrades, though.  There is
one known issue, and that's the buggy pkg_add on 4.9 and 5.2.1.  We need
to get the word out to users that they have to install
sysutils/pkg_install to do package installs on those versions.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome