HEADS UP: GNOME 2.6 TODO list

Franz Klammer klammer at webonaut.com
Sat Mar 13 04:42:24 PST 2004

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 05:20, Franz Klammer wrote:
>

>>Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>>

>>>* New docs (especially an FAQ) for what's new.  One thing I know of is,
>>>"How do I switch back to the old Nautilus file browser?"  There's also,
>>>

>>very, very, ... often! :-)
>>i hate that "everything in a new window" - that's one of the first things
>>i also deactivate in the (long time ago ;-)) windows times. ok, i'ts
>>possible
>>to hold the SHIFT-key which closes the current nautilus windows and
>>opens a new -
>>but the new window has a other size and will be opened on a different
>>positon.
>>

>A lot of the new Nautilus settings are buried in GConf.  If you could
>write up what you did to make it "usable" again, that would make a great
>FAQ.
>
>[snip]

i fact i did nothing ... as i read you mail first i something
completeley different - (like: "how often do you
use the old nautilus") therefore give you a wrong answer for your
question - when i need the "old" nautilus
i simply start the file-browser. but that's interessting - i will take a
look at gconf now. maybe i find
something for the FAQ.

>>the new Place "Computer" from gnome 2.6 has a very usefull feature:
>>
>>i've put this into /etc/fstab and set vfs.usermount to 1:
>>
>>/dev/acd0 /usr/home/klammer/mnt/cdrom  cd9660 ro,noauto,nodev,nosuid  0  0
>>/dev/acd1 /usr/home/klammer/mnt/writer cd9660 ro,noauto,nodev,nosuid  0  0
>>/dev/fd0  /usr/home/klammer/mnt/floppy msdos  rw,noauto,nodev,nosuid  0  0
>>
>>in "Computer" there are 3 new icons then. nautilus automaticaly mounts
>>that devices if you open it.
>>umount resp. eject are in the context-menus.
>>

>Can you write this up in a generic sense?  This would make another great
>FAQ.  By the way, this was exactly what I was going for.  My latest
>addition to this feature will only show icons for mount points that you
>own.  Therefore, if you also added /usr/home/marcus/mnt/cdrom to fstab,
>klammer should not see that mount.

ok! i will try it - but be aware that you or someone else must translate
it again in
public readable english ;-)

>>here's a screenshot of my "Computer":
>>(only the floppy is open because i currently unable to mount any cd-device)
>>

>Why?  I unmounted (and ejected) a CD just two days ago.  Nautilus uses
>cdcontrol to eject a CD.  Does that not work for you?

thats a general problem with my pc - i guess the problems begun after i
installed
the burner an set up my kernel for burining. currently - but ths will be
a question
for current@ my pc hangs after starting X - then i must reset it - and
then i can
do my normal work ...

>>http://webonaut.com/temp/mounting.png
>>

>>>* We need broken ports hunters.  If you have a favorite port that
>>>doesn't compile under GNOME 2.6 Beta, let us know (better yet, fix it).
>>>

>>there is a disk size problem: as you can see on the screenshot below
>>nautilus tells be that on my 40GB harddisk are 65,3GB free Space ;-)
>>in reality are 8GB free.
>>is this freebsd-specific or should i file a but at bugzilla.gnome.org?
>>

>I'm not sure, I haven't seen it before (probably because I never
>looked).  I'll investigate.

ok,  i will wait and do nothing until you request it.

thanks.

franz.