HEADS UP: GNOME 2.6 TODO list

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 13 00:26:27 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 05:20, Franz Klammer wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> >* New docs (especially an FAQ) for what's new.  One thing I know of is,
> >"How do I switch back to the old Nautilus file browser?"  There's also,
> >

> very, very, ... often! :-)
> i hate that "everything in a new window" - that's one of the first things
> i also deactivate in the (long time ago ;-)) windows times. ok, i'ts
> possible
> to hold the SHIFT-key which closes the current nautilus windows and
> opens a new -
> but the new window has a other size and will be opened on a different
> positon.

A lot of the new Nautilus settings are buried in GConf.  If you could
write up what you did to make it "usable" again, that would make a great
FAQ.

[snip]

> the new Place "Computer" from gnome 2.6 has a very usefull feature:
>
> i've put this into /etc/fstab and set vfs.usermount to 1:
>
> /dev/acd0 /usr/home/klammer/mnt/cdrom  cd9660 ro,noauto,nodev,nosuid  0  0
> /dev/acd1 /usr/home/klammer/mnt/writer cd9660 ro,noauto,nodev,nosuid  0  0
> /dev/fd0  /usr/home/klammer/mnt/floppy msdos  rw,noauto,nodev,nosuid  0  0
>
> in "Computer" there are 3 new icons then. nautilus automaticaly mounts
> that devices if you open it.
> umount resp. eject are in the context-menus.

Can you write this up in a generic sense?  This would make another great
FAQ.  By the way, this was exactly what I was going for.  My latest
addition to this feature will only show icons for mount points that you
own.  Therefore, if you also added /usr/home/marcus/mnt/cdrom to fstab,
klammer should not see that mount.

> here's a screenshot of my "Computer":
> (only the floppy is open because i currently unable to mount any cd-device)

Why?  I unmounted (and ejected) a CD just two days ago.  Nautilus uses
cdcontrol to eject a CD.  Does that not work for you?

> http://webonaut.com/temp/mounting.png
>
> >* We need broken ports hunters.  If you have a favorite port that
> >doesn't compile under GNOME 2.6 Beta, let us know (better yet, fix it).
> >

> there is a disk size problem: as you can see on the screenshot below
> nautilus tells be that on my 40GB harddisk are 65,3GB free Space ;-)
> in reality are 8GB free.
> is this freebsd-specific or should i file a but at bugzilla.gnome.org?

I'm not sure, I haven't seen it before (probably because I never
looked).  I'll investigate.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke