HEADS UP: GNOME 2.6 TODO list

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Mar 12 15:51:25 PST 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:58:00 -0500, Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

>>> (03.12.2004 @ 0403 PST): Jeremy Messenger said, in 2.4K: <<
>> GNOME team did the awsome job on this, so thanks! :-) I will try to test
>> many stuff and others as usually.
>
> Heh. Where exactly do you think we'd be without you, Mezz? ;;)

:-)

>> Do you still need someone to test on upgrade script or it's done?
>
> I haven't been able to test the upgrade script in a bit because there's
> a number of ports (sound-juicer, rhythmbox, etc.) that won't build
> against the new gstreamer, and there's some other stuff that won't build
> that I don't remember cuz I just woke up and wtf am I doing writing
> emails when I only have 1 eye open.
>
> I've been disgustingly bogged down with schoolwork, and I'm going to be
> quite AFK next week, so I won't be able to test stuff for a while. More
> upgrade testing would be GREAT.

Umm, I think I will do the test on upgrade script tomorrow. Tonight, it
will be build GNOME 2.4.x.

> Basically, I've been testing mostly upgrades when just x11/gnome2, and
> when all GNOME metaports are installed. What would be really neat is to
> have some upgrade tests when weird configurations of stuff are
> installed. Remove parts of packages, put bizarre libraries under the gtk
> dirs, install everything into a non-standard ${PREFIX} and see if the
> upgrade script honours it entirely, etc.

Maybe, I can try to install all x11/gnome2-* too before I touch the
upgrade script.

As for non-standard ${PREFIX}, I don't think it will make any difference
with the upgrade script. Because, I feel it's more like package/port bug
rather than upgrade script bug. But, I agree about should try to test
install x11/gnome-* in the non-standard ${PREFIX} and see if GNOME will
run fine.

> Also, now is when considering usability is super important. We need it
> to work for the n00b, but still provide lots of acronyms for the geeky.
> I've made the output as simple and explanatory as possible, and just let
> the actual work be shown in the logfile. I'd *love* suggestions on how
> to improve the interface. Also spelling/grammar checks, and also any
> suggestions for the code itself to make this script as reusable as
> possible.

I agree..

> And you thought I was gonna say, "Nah, it's done, go play
> monkey-bubble." ;;)

Haha.. :-P

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.