Long delays in Gnome2 start up

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Thu Mar 11 15:21:09 PST 2004

Hi Mezz,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Thu, 11 Mar, 2004 22:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Long delays in Gnome2 start up

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:26:43 +0000, Stacey Roberts
> <stacey at vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Mezz.,

Okay.., did all that (a to e)
Ran startx
Splash screen thingy started only after 3 seconds
Delay of about 30 seconds before the various components stuff appears across the Splash screen thingy
Gnome2 starts up
Virgin Gnome2 desktop loads
Waited for about 30 seconds
Clicked on Actions, Log Out
Screen locks for 2 minutes
The "Are you sure you want to log out?" dialogue box appears
Clicked "Yes" (without selecting box to save settings)
Gnome2 logs out

Here's what I've seen on console:

(nautilus:84885): Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-control-frame.c: line 720 (bonobo_control_frame_set_ui_container): assertion `frame->priv->activated == FALSE' failed

** (nautilus:845885): WARNING **: destroyed file still being monitored

(repeated four times)

(nautilus:84885): Bonobo-WARNING **: Leaked a total of 1 refs to 1 bonobo object(s)

Ran startx again
Gnome2 loads nice and quick
Set background
Clicked on Actions, Log out
Desktop locked up for 1 min 40 seconds
The "Are you sure you want to log out" dialogue box appears
I ticked the "Save current set up" check box
Clicked "Okay"
Gnome2 exits
That set of "bonobo-related" messages are on the console
Ran startx
Gnome2 starts nice and fast
Set up some "Sound preferences": -
Enable sound server startup & Sounds for events
Clicked on "Sound Events" tab
Under "User interface menus" I highlight "Choose menu item"
Clicked on "Browse"
Desktop locked up for 2 mins 33 seconds before the "Select sound file" box appears
I select "activate.wav", and clicked "Okay"
Selecting other sound events after this runs a lot faster
Closed the "Sound preferences" application
Clicked on Actions, Log out, No screen lockups, "Are you sure you want to log out" dialogue box appears immediately.
I check the "Save current setup" checkbox
Clicked "Okay"
Gnome2 exits immediately
Set of "bonobo-related" messages are back on console
Waited a few (30) seconds
Ran startx
Delay of 2 mins 55 seconds before the splash screen thingy appears
Gnome2 quickly loads thereafter
Waited for 10 seconds (did nothing)
Logged out
Gnome2 exits immediately
Ran startx again
Delay of 3 mins 5 seconds before the splash screen thingy appears
Gnome2 loads immediately after
Sound events work, by the way :-(

What's going on?

Regards,