x.org discussion

Joe Kelsey joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us
Wed Jun 30 15:20:53 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 15:10, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:52:36 -0700, Joe Kelsey <joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 12:41, Punahele Tannehill wrote:
> >> Having just scampered through a thread on questions@, I'm curious about
> >> people's
> >> opinions and experiences are with X.org system as compared to XFree86.
> >> Especially in terms of how it may or not affect future development of
> >> Gnome.
> >
> > I just replaced XFree86 with X.org.  It took quite a bit of work, even
> > with the meta-port.  I had major trouble with the meta-port due to
> > poorly=specified prerequisites and inability of portinstall to operate
> > on it.
>
> I have no problem here with pkgdb to replace XFree86 to xorg.

Did I say *anything* about pkgdb in my message?  I cannot use
portinstall/portupgrade to install/upgrade xorg because the ports do not
appear in the ports database.  I cannot use portsdb to update the ports
database because someone changed it to no longer ignore errors related
to missing languages.  Since I do not have, for instance, any japanese
directories in my checked-out files, portsdb -Uu fails dues to inability
to find these requirements when rebuilding the database.  It used to
blithely ignore these errors, but no longer does.  Therefore, I cannot
rebuild the database to include the xorg ports, therefore I cannot use
portinstall/portupgrade to install/upgrade the xorg ports.  pkgdb -F
still works fine, except I do not know what XFree86-fontScalable
corresponds to.

/Joe