xorg/XFree86 and gnome

Peter Ulrich Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Thu Jun 17 08:52:11 PDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Pav Lucistnik wrote:

> V st, 16. 06. 2004 v 20:09, Peter Ulrich Kruppa pí¹e:
>
>> Since nothing spectacular happend since my upgrade to gnome-2.7
>> (it simply works) I would like to test xorg .
>> Or should I wait for XFree86-4.4 (I believe I have read, someone
>> is working on it).
>> ... Or just go ahead and see what happens?
>>
>> Thanks for good or well meant advices.
>
> Go for it, it should just work. Tell us afterwards. Don't wait for
> XFree86 4.4, they are not coming RSN, as I heard.
This took some time to install, since there is no meta port
available yet.
Generally gnome still works, but gdm doesn't come up
automatically anymore. I use
# xinit
and type
# gnome-session
into the default xterm.
Strange things I found yet:
- mozilla and friends vanished from the gnome menu (but still can
   be run from an xterm)
- midnight-commander displays in a very weak blue color
- some gnome-applets don't work
- of course some hundred stale dependencies in pkgdb

Resume: no fatal problems, but many inconviniences and a lot of
RTFM to do.

Regards,

Uli.