ports/67970: ports textproc/libxml, textproc/libxslt: bogus dependencies on devel/pkgconfig

Pav Lucistnik pav at oook.cz
Wed Jun 16 06:42:45 PDT 2004

V st, 16. 06. 2004 v 15:34, Oliver Eikemeier píše:

> >> the .pc file in the base and add libdata/pkgconfig to the mtree files,
> >> especially since there are more ports that have problems with that.
> >
> > Adding libdata/pkgconfig to mtree sounds like a good idea. Depends how
> > broad mtree should be, that depends on portmgr's vision.
>
> Yep. otherwise a simple INSTALLS_PKGCONFIG=yes would do the trick,
> although
> it seems like we would only exchange a single line in pkg-plist with one
> in the Makefile in this case.

Note that this is not a solution to our debate, it merely masks the
leftover empty directory if installing .pc file without pkgconfig
dependency.

> >> OTOH you seem to selectively ignore the other samples given, which does
> >> not seem very wise to me either. I can not understand why you have such
> >> an emotional relation to a plainly wrong dependency.
> >
> > I talked with you on the subject extensively on IRC yesterday, and
> > you're firmly rooted in your believes and opinions. No reason to repeat
> > whole conversation over email again.
>
> True, and I aborted the discussion because it got emotionally heated. I
> submitted the PR in the hope of starting a more technically oriented
> discussion, like getting some examples of breakage when this dependency
> would be removed. I'm a little disappointed of the lack of real arguments
> in this thread. Most of my questions remain unanswered, like whether you
> believe devel/valgrind, devel/pcsc-lite, print/freetype2, graphics/png,
> www/neon, www/openvrml, x11/XFree86-4-libraries and x11-toolkits/qt33
> should run-depend on pkgconfig too.

Yes, I do.

I stated my technical opinion before, I can repeat it again:

In this case library installs important metadata as a .pc file, and
configure scripts of other applications read these .pc files to obtain
the metadata, unable to configure for the library without them. The
reading of .pc file is done using external program, pkg-config.

Here comes a heated debate, if library should provide all possible
applications with a pkg-config, via it's runtime dependency, or if every
possible application should build depends on pkg-config.

I believe that library should provide everything needed for other
applications to be able to link the library.

I believe that library should run depends on pkg-config.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
Co vime o lasce? Laska je jako hruska. Hruska je sladka a ma urcity